Sunday, December 3, 2006

A thank you to our men and women overseas


For thoes of you who don't know me, my little brother is a Sergeant in the 101st Airborne division of the US Army. He recently came back to the states after a year long deployment in Iraq. Anyhow, because of this, there is an obvious soft spot in my heart for our men and women in uniform. There is a wonderful website, www.anysoldier.com that has a place for our deployed soldiers to let people know what things they could use, and their addresses. If you have never been to the site, please take a moment to check it out. There are many soldiers who just would like letters or cards, and others who ask for specific things (ex. books, snacks, socks, hand warmers, etc.) with the post office having flat rate boxes, for just over eight dollars, it makes it very easy for people to make a soldiers day with a little care package from home.

With that being said, I have 4 boxes in my hall right now that I am in the process of filling, to mail off to Iraq for Christmas. I am including a card that I made from this adorable House Mouse stamp in each box. This card was stamped in Basic Black on Whisper White and colored in with Prismacolor pencils and gamsol. Then I used my color spritzer tool and a Brilliant Blue marker to spritz on the piece of Brilliant Blue cardstock. I used my Crafter's Tool kit and the Signo white gel pen to faux stitch on the edges. The card base is Real Red stamped with the Canvas BG in Real Red as Well. I used Whisper White craft ink and the Warmest Regards Level 1 Hostess set to stamp the sentiment.

I hope that the soldiers who get these boxes enjoy the cards and other goodies I'm sending, and that if you have the ability, you take the time to send some holiday cheer to Iraq too.

No comments: